The amount of visual content shared has increased to 3 billion images and 10 billion videos between Facebook Messenger, Instagram and Whatsapp. And Video is further projects to account for 75% of mobile traffic by 2020.
Social media giants Facebook, Google, Twitter and newcomers such as Snapchat and Instagram are having one thing in common, they all use the human’s attraction to visual content by posting colourful images and photos. According to a study conducted by Hubspot, photos on Facebook generate 53% more likes than text posts. Furthermore, the widespread success of Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat shows just how sight-driven humans are.
Currently with new technological advancements such as broad broadband streaming technologies, key players such as Youtube and Snapchat who promote Video content are gaining greater attention as the video posts are generating quite a lot of engagement from the audience, who view and comment on the videos, generating content through discussions happening around them.
- YouTube: More than 5 billion video views are watched each day
- Facebook: Around 500 million people watch Facebook videos every day
- Twitter: 82% of Twitter’s audience watches video content
- Snapchat: says they generate 10 billion video views every single day
Therefore Video content seems to be the new trend and powerful tool for social media marketers. The marketing experts should bear in mind the specifics such as ideal length, aspect ratio and the preferences of social media influencers on different platforms to be effective on their marketing campaigns.
Make Mobile friendly videos
60% of videos on YouTube are watched on mobile devices and the sharing rate is also higher on mobile devices. So if you have been ignoring the tools and techniques that create better engagement for mobile viewers, you’re limiting both your reach and sharing opportunities.
Specifics of video marketing on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter:
YouTube is the best video marketing platform to engage the audience through DIY videos, explainer videos, video tutorials, testimonials, and behind the scene videos.
Before making videos, create a content plan to ensure that your content both meets your brand’s goals and engages your intended audience. Schedule Your Content decide which video you will release and when. A successful optimization strategy will help you take full benefit of the platform’s functionalities and avoid execution mistakes. Cost effective paid promotions of content via youtube is an efficient method. Allow social amplification of content through discussions taking place around the video content. Set up measuring promotion both for defining success and optimizing towards it.
- Ideal length of a video on YouTube is less than 5 min. If you are planning to increase the length, the content in the video should be highly engaging
- Ideal aspect ratio should be 16:9
- Best place for a call to action (CTA) on a YouTube video is the 30-second mark
- Most viral videos on YouTube are nearly 10x longer than most viral videos on Facebook
- Keep the ads before the playback short and crisp
Facebook has increased allocation of more space for videos on its Newsfeed.
- To attract a high number of views, shares, likes, and comments on Facebook, use funny videos, DIY tips, unboxing videos, product promotions and heartwarming cause videos
- Facebook puts a significant emphasis on its Live feature, so include live broadcasts whenever appropriate/possible
- When you plan to create a live video, it’s good to plan in advance to ensure that you go live at a time when the bulk of your audience is online
- Ideal length of the video should be 1 minute. Viewers lose interest after that.
- The standard widescreen aspect ratio (16:9) is ideal for Facebook video
- Make sure you put extra efforts for the first 3 seconds of the video on Facebook
- Use compelling captions to attract more viewers
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound because of the default setting
- Make sure your Facebook page has self-explanatory visuals associated with the video
- Facebook has recently released a Facebook “Creator” app that offers exclusive tools for creating, promoting and streaming videos
The best way to understand marketing on Instagram is by posting the right type of video at the right time. If you get this part right, consumers will usually engage without so long as you’re not regularly delivering a hard pitch.
On Instagram, you have to showcase your product/service in a creative way by sharing video or creating video advertising.
Use Instagram Stories- These stories are temporary 10-second picture/video clips placed at the top of the Instagram feed.
- Ideal length of a video on Instagram is around 30 seconds to 1 minute
- 10 seconds is the ideal length for stories
- Ideal aspect ratio is widescreen or 1:1 and portrait mode for stories
- Optimize captions and comments with hashtags
- Adding one hashtag in the caption results in 12% more engagement
- Use Third-party tools like Boomerang and Layout for easy Instagram captures
Snapchat provides its user’s direct access to live event as it is a real-time social media marketing platform.
There are a lot of ways to use Snapchat for marketing. Its inventive features such as filters, text, bitemojis, and geofilters, tend to create huge engagement.
Brands can use Snapchat to record videos of launch, events, trade shows, musical events, social event, etc. You can also showcase some private or behind the scene content to provide something unique to Snapchat followers. Buffer Recommends:
- Ideal length of videos on Snapchat is 10 seconds though it has lately released a new update where you can record and post back to back videos up to 60 seconds
- 18:9 aspect ratio as they prefer to watch the snap keeping their phone vertically
- Make the first snap video engaging because 22% of viewers drop off after losing interest from the first snap
Twitter feeds have the fastest scroll, which is why brands should focus on creating eye-catching content. Brands can use Twitter to upload a teaser, announcement, advertisement, promotional, education, and user-based content.
Given the extent of Twitter being used for sharing news related videos, the Twitter mobile app includes in-app access to your mobile phone’s camera to increase user experience and engage more of your followers through video content.
- Ideal length of the video should be 30 seconds to 1 minute to engage maximum viewers
- Ideal Aspect ratio should be 2.39:1 so that it provides the best user experience
- Around 90% of videos are watched on mobile phones, so the brands should make sure they use a mobile-first approach
- Since viewers prefer Twitter to gather information, brands should focus on branding while sharing video content on Twitter rather than promotion.