A blog is an online webpage or website through which you share information in the form of posts. A blog has now evolved into more than just a way to express your ideas, opinions and skilled knowledge. Individuals as well as businesses now make use of blogs to make updates about their company work, promote a product, create brand recognition and build a following to eventually generate traffic to their business websites. Getting started with a blog is relatively easy and is good way to start promoting your business, start discussions and create awareness, below we discuss the main steps involved in setting up your blog for the first time:
- Decide on what you are going to be blogging about: On deciding to create a blog you must have a general idea of what topics you want your blog to be based on. Think about what you enjoy and what you are passionate about, whether it is a tech blog providing useful tips or a cooking blog about homemade recipes, it is very important to make sure it’s something that interests you. It will be ideal if you’ve been involved in a specific industry for a long time because this would make you somewhat of an expert giving you the advantage of being able to provide a good insight.
- Select the blogging platform you want to use: Once you’ve decided on the topic of your blog the next step is to choose which platform you want to use to share your posts. You can choose between a range of free or self-hosted platforms to start blogging, each of which have their various advantages. Some of the free blogging platforms available are Tumblr, Blogger, and WordPress of which WordPress is the most popular. Although the free platforms simplify the creation of your blug they do have a few disadvantages too such as not being able to have your own domain name or you being limited to the available themes and layouts. With this regard a self-hosted blog can sometimes be a better option. However if you do decide to use a free blogging platform then WordPress is what we recommend for its user-friendly structure and simple navigation.
- Get yourself a registered domain name and find a web hosting provider: Its always better to register your own domain name and find a good web hosting provider to host your blog. This way your blog gets a more professional appearance instead of having a domain name like www.myblog.wordpress.com you can have www.myblog.com. In addition to this it will also prevent unnecessary advertising that usually appears on free blogs.
- Start writing your posts and begin blogging: Once you’ve decided on your niche and set up your blog the next step is to make your first post. It’s important that your first post is engaging, and captivates visitors online. Make use of an attractive title and quality images that will initiate interest in addition to talking about something that readers will find useful.
- Create awareness and build a following: Once your blog is up and running it’s vital to create recognition, and there’s no better way to do this than social media. Make use of social media such as facebook, Google + and twitter to share your posts and have your voice heard. This will also provide other social media users to share your posts amongst their circle of friends and help spark interest that will generate traffic. Your followers will also be able to communicate directly with you and you will be able to produce a forum for discussion too.
Blogging is a great way to promote your products, services or even just to keep people informed. It is also a good way to generate traffic to your business website