Blogging can be an important aspect of digital marketing and can contribute significantly to the online presence and search rankings of your business. In addition to the advantage to SEO and improvements in search rankings, blogging can also help improve your social media presence, drive more website traffic, generate interest and impact brand recognition. These advantages will then factor into and improve the overall profits of your business.
Regardless of what niche your business is, if you are able to provide quality engaging content for your audience and market that content well to create a following – then you will notice a surge in organic traffic as well as an improvement in search rankings.
Below we discuss some of the important points when it comes to blogging for business:
- The Niche: The primary thing is to identify exactly what your niche is – the topics or industry area that you would like to discuss in your blog. This can be related to a specific product range you offer or about a range of services your business has.It is important not select a broad topic criteria (for instance a whole industry) but rather something more specific. A broader topic would mean a lot more un-focused content (which may not be ideal for SEO), whereas a more carefully chosen criteria will allow you to focus your discussion on a specific set of topics.
For instance do not just have a blog discussing the medical industry – this could relate to patients, doctors, and hundreds of other health issues and treatments in the industry. But if you focus specifically on something like say ‘Cardiology’ or ‘Mental Health’ then you are more likely to improve your rankings for those keywords.
- Create a blogging strategy: Prepare a carefully thought out blogging strategy that covers:
- Your industry research (to choose your blogging niche)
- The target audience (research on the audience you aim to target as this is relevant to the content you will need to produce)
- Competitive Analysis (research on your competition and other similar blogs)
- A content publishing plan (how and where you would like to publish your content as well as the frequency)
- Preparing Content: Once you have finalized your blogging strategy and identified your niche as well as target audience, then next step is to produce content. In order to produce quality engaging content it is important to understand that blogging is unlike traditional writing.When it comes to the internet people have shorter attention spans and want to be able to find the information they are looking for quickly. Using shorter paragraphs, bullet points and easy to read language can go a long way. The content must also speak the voice of your brand as it will reflect on your business.
- Use the right platform: There are many places you can publish your blog content of which the two main options are –
- Your own website: The platform is very important so if you are intergrating a blog into your website design, then don’t compromise on usability and quality. A good web design with organized categories and SEO features (such as headings and descriptions, meta-tag updates) will all contribute towards blog success. The temptation to save money on professional web design can be high considering your thoughts could be “It’s just a blog, how important would it really be?”
- Guest blogs: Finally consider publishing content on other well reputed blogs. Make contact with industry professionals and related blogs to see if you can produce guest blogs for them, and then within these posts include references and links back to your website. When creating guest blogs its important not to make it a marketing message, but rather an informative post with subtle references back.