The launch of a business website in today’s world is considered an indicator of validity – A company isn’t considered truly established until it has a proper online presence, especially with new businesses. The first question people would as is if there was a website they could look at for more information about the business, services provided and products sold. Since online search engines (such as Google) have become the go to place for information regardless of whether you are on the move or at home, having a website that is indexed by Google and other search engines is vital. The business website design is an important milestone in your overall startup plan.
Even though it can be fairly simple to set up a basic website with the use of template solutions and tools (like WordPress), there are still some major challenges that you will encounter in the process. Some of these hurdles are discussed below:
- The minimum viable product: When designing and building a business website for your company, instinctively you would want everything to be perfect. You want the website to reflect the vision you have for your business. Due to this reason when developing the website you will be tempted to include extra features and additional functionality or even completely revise existing sections of the website. Although this is the case it is very important to identify and select the minimum viable product at this stage. This is basically the minimum amount of features necessary to make your website operational. The reason for choosing only the most essential features at this point is so as to minimize unnecessary set-up costs as well as reduce lead times for completion while upholding simplicity and ease of use.
- Design, layout and appearance: The design choices you make are important factors that will determine your business websites success. It is what will give visitors their first impressions of your business and motivate them to act upon their interest and can even determine whether or not they come back. It is important to have a user friendly navigation system, with all important information presented nicely. In addition you must also include strategically placed call to action buttons that will initiate a visitor to make a purchase or contact the business.
If you are working with a template website building tool and trying to build a low cost, cheap website your options will also be limited as a result. However it is recommended seeking the assistance of a professional web design agency to assist you with the design and development. This is because having a design that stands out from the rest, is unique and is tailored to your brand image is essential in order to convert web visitors to paying customers.
- Website content: The on-site copy or website content will present another set of hurdles, this is where you will have to decide on the right titles for your pages, the headings to use as well as the text content to include. When writing content for your website it is important to reflect your brand message and highlight unique selling points. The content will also have to be informative and compel the visitor to act upon it.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): SEO has become a vital part of any businesses online presence. It is absolutely essential to include SEO as part of your online digital marketing strategy as it is what determines your websites visibility and ability to be found online. SEO requires technical site structure set-up, on-site content marketing as well as off site content sharing (social media marketing etc.). It is relatively inexpensive in the long-term since it can result in an increase in organic search ranking which will drive unpaid traffic to your website.
- Calls to Action: These are strategically placed buttons and text on your website that will motivate a visitor to perform an action such as complete a purchase or contact the business. The call to actions (CTA’s) is what will be responsible for converting your visitors into paying customers. These can be short, text based call outs after certain important content or buttons that drive people to make a purchase or submit a contact request. A good example of a CTA is a “Get A FREE Quote Now” – this could be presented in the form of a button or highlighted banner text.
- Web Hosting: Although this does not seem like a major hurdle or decision to make in the overall process, it is still something that can impact the eventual functionality of your website. The web hosting provider is the one you will be using to serve your website to the public. The choice you make can affect the running cost as well as some functional limitations of the website. Most of all choosing a good hosting provider will ensure higher uptimes and better support in case of a problem.
- Getting the initial traffic: It is important to note that launching your website is just the end of one process and beginning of another in your startup journey. Once your website is live, you will need to attract some momentum to your website in the form of web traffic. This can be done by marketing and sharing your website as well as conducting small pay-per-click online marketing campaigns to generate the initial traffic.