Landing pages are generally designed to focus a website visitors’ attention to a specific offer or service. It is usually a standalone page that provides information about a very particular product or service offered and nothing else, this is to limit the distractions of other content on your website.
The main objective of a landing page is to capture information about a visitor’s interest in a product or service, and to also convert that visitor into a successful sale. Although landing pages are designed to provide very specific information, converting visitors into leads and sales isn’t an easy process. Digital marketing agencies can help with making quality landing pages. Below we discuss a few of the techniques and tips they follow when building a well optimized and effective landing page:
- Page Headlines & Google Ads: The landing page main heading or headline must be a very catchy and appealing one. Since landing pages are used as the target URL for Google Ad Words PPC advertising, having a headline that matches the wording of your advertisement is a great idea. The quality score of Ads on Google Ad Words can be improved by having matching content on the Ad message and landing page text. An improved quality score means better Ad position and lower costs per click.
- Clear and Attractive headings: The main heading on the page is generally the first thing a visitor reads. It is important that the landing page heading doesn’t confuse visitors or make the page look boring. Instead, the landing page heading must compel a visitor to be intrigued and take a closer look or read more about what is on offer.
- Make use of good grammar and spelling: Having good use of language within your content is also an important factor that can affect the success of your landing page. Especially if it’s one that aims to convince visitors to make purchases or provide billing information, the trust the customer may have will be risked if there are spelling mistakes and bad grammar, visitors may think twice before providing such information.
- Trust indicators can be advantageous: Incorporating various trust indicators can help with building trust and improve conversions. Using trust indicators means including things like customer testimonials, press mentions or releases, awards or guarantees, and even online security certifications (SSL certifications from trusted companies like VeriSign etc.)
- Use of a strong Call to Action: After a visitor reads the landing page main heading, it is vital that they know what needs to be done next. This is generally referenced to them with the use of a carefully worded call to action. A call to action can be a button or phrase of highlighted text that initiates the reader to perform an action. Generally phrases like “Get a Quote Now!” or “Get your FREE trial!” or even just “Download Now” are considered call to actions. You can use your website performance metrics to experiment with different call to actions and see what works best for your landing page.
- Buttons and Call to Actions must stand out: Perform keyword research and identify the words and phrases people are searching for in relation the service or product you are offering. Use these keywords combined with words like “free”, “new”, “download” or “buy” to initiate a conversion. A conversion button must stand out, make use of attractive colours and be placed right below a call to action or have the call to action statement within the button itself. Orange and red coloured buttons have been known to catch a visitor’s eye.
- Reduce Linking: Reduce the number of links that connect to other pages and content on your website. Both internal and external links can be distracting and may have a negative effect on the number of conversions. When people are pointed towards other information and click through, they may lose interest in the landing page and not return, resulting in a lost conversion. In some cases it can be a good idea to remove the navigation menus altogether and just keep the landing page as a standalone one page site.
- Use attractive images and videos: Making use of high quality product images and demo videos can be a good way to initiate conversions and increase interest. Videos of user testimonials, reviews and product images can have a positive impact on visitors and give them the curiosity to look further into your business product or service.
- Keep the important stuff above the fold: The area on the landing page that a visitor can see without having to scroll down is where the most important content and message of the page should be. Place call to action buttons and phrases above the fold and in a position where a visitor’s eye will catch. Never place a button or call to action in a location where a user will have to search for to identify it.
- Testing and Regular Improvements: With landing pages it is important to monitor website usage statistics and analytics so you can understand how visitors are interacting. This data can then be used to make improvements on the landing page such as changing headlines or call to actions. Experimenting with various changes and monitoring how they impact conversions can help you find the best landing page recipe that suits your business objective.
Making use of the above tips and features when designing your landing pages can significantly improve the success of your paid advertising efforts and digital marketing strategies. Better landing pages mean better conversions. Speak to a professional web design agency like Web Choice Online today to find out how we can help you improve your online conversions!